- 400g stewing beef
- 50g plain flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 10 shallots, peeled
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 300ml red wine
- 200ml beef stock
- 1 tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 4-5 cloves
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Coat the beef with the flour, shaking of any excess. Heat the olive oil in a large pan over a high heat and then cook the beef until browned all over. Remove the beef and set aside.
- Add the shallots and the garlic to the pan and cook for a couple of minutes, until the shallots are starting to brown. Add the red wine vinegar and scrape the pan to release and stuck meat.
- Add the beef again and all other ingredients. Season with salt and pepper and mix well. Bring to the boil and then simmer slowly for 3-4 hours. Remove the cinnamon stick and bay leaf before seasoning.
Serve with chips and salad as a reminder of your holidays or rice or mashed potato for something a little different.