- 5 decent sized potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 2 tablespoons sunflower oil
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- half garlic clove, minced
- 500g beef mince
- 1 pint beef stock (or just use a stock cube)
- salt and pepper to taste
- Put potatoes in a large pan and cover with cold water and put on heat to boil.
- Meanwhile add the oil to a heavy based pan (cast iron is great for this wholesome eat), add carrot, onion and garlic. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring frequently so it doesn’t take colour. Add the mince and cook off till completely browned, when browned continue frying for a further 5 mins. At this point add some salt and pepper. Crumble one beef stock cube over the meat and add 1 pint of water (or alternatively use pre-made beef stock). Leave the pan slightly covered and simmer for 35 -45 mins. after which time you may season to your taste.
- Drain the potatoes and roughly mash with a little butter to taste. Serve the mince with hot buttered potatoes, and bread to soak up the delicious gravy.
Also try serving with garden peas on the side.